Research Analyst, Pulp
We are currently recruiting an analyst to cover developments within the international pulp, paper and wood fibre markets. As a primary responsibility, you will manage and support the production of industry reports that provide supply, demand, cost and price analysis. The analyst will also help maintain and expand Hawkins Wright’s contact base and represent the company at industry events, and support with other daily tasks that can range from administrative to event management.
Candidates should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills in English – fluency in at least one other language would be highly valued. Candidates must also have strong mathematical and computing skills, showing competence with analysing datasets.
- Developing a thorough understanding of the global pulp, paper and wood fibre markets
- Writing clear & succinct commentaries on market developments
- Maintaining data & models (in Excel) and developing new ones
- Participating in conferences and events, providing support for presentations, and developing our network of contacts and promoting our services to prospective clients
- Developing and maintaining rapport with key contacts, and liaising regularly with industry stakeholders (buyers, sellers, traders, agents, logistical service providers) to gain market intelligence
- Working on special projects as needed
- A commitment to producing work of the highest quality, with an eye for detail and a willingness to take ownership over one’s work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to write with flair and clarity for a global audience
- Ability to meet fixed deadlines and work independently with limited supervision
- Personable and approachable, able to build strong client relationships and thrive within a small team
- Excellent writing, grammar, and numeracy skills (these will be tested as part of the interview process).
- Proficiency working with Excel-based analytical tools (InDesign skills also valued)
- Self-motivation and initiative to drive projects forward with the ability to meet deadlines
- Willingness to travel to meetings and events globally
We are open to candidates with an academic or professional background in any field or industry. However, knowledge of one or more of the following topics would be advantageous: commodity markets, macroeconomics, pulp & paper markets, freight & logistics.
We value a healthy work life balance and can consider a range of flexible working arrangements, including working from home. Please state your preferences in your application.
What we offer:
- On-the-job training & mentoring, and tailored support for on-boarding and facing the learning curve
- A competitive salary, which will depend on depth of prior experience, and a clear trajectory for salary & job growth
- Pension contribution equivalent to 10% of salary
- Private health insurance
- Flexible working (home-based, office-based, or flexi-working)
- Enhanced maternity/paternity provision
- The opportunity for regular international travel