The Indian paper industry remains highly fragmented, with over 750 paper mills. Only 50 have capacity of >50,000t/y, and combined output of the “organised” sector is just 4.1 million tonnes running at a capacity utilisation rate of 90%. The remaining 9-10 million tonnes of production is very small scale, uses agricultural non-wood fibres and wastepaper, and is impossible to quantify accurately.
Our estimates are based on desk research using a combination of data from associations, customs statistics, trade press, corporate reports and email or telephone correspondence.
The update includes:
- Paper and board production from 2012-2017, by grade
- Imports & exports, and implied demand
- Pulp and recycled fibre imports 2012-2017, by grade and region
- Recent capacity expansions in pulp, paper and board, since 2012
- Short corporate profiles & investment plans of the leading players
- Economic note
More detailed historical data is available from the earlier reports published in 2008 and 2013, on request.